Kosaka Town in Akita prefecture used to be prosperous as a town, during Edo Samurai period, as the gold / silver mining had been the major income for the town. After 1945, however, the mining was dead and closed.
Secondly, the famous lake, "Towada Lake" is located between Aomori and Akita prefectures. Until the year of 2008, both prefectures had continuously argued and fought for the territory of the lake. Eventually, both prefectures has agreed that the north-east sides of Towada Lake belong to Aomori, while the rest in the sounth-west sides belongs to Akita prefecture.
1. Basic Infomation on "Kosaka Town" :
- The Total Area: 201.70km2
- The Population: 5,413 people (as of 2015)
- The Desity of Population: 26.8 persons / km2
- Railway: No Raiway near the town
- Main Roads: Tohoku and Akita Highway. National Route (#103 / #454 / #282)
- Bus: Shuhoku Bus, Kosaka Town's Bus and Highway Bus
- Airport: Aomori Domestic Airport and Odate-Noshiroin Domestic Airport
2. Main Industry:
- Gold / Silver / Copper Mining (from 1816 to 1950) - Already closed.
- Electrical Device Industry (Audio Device)
- Non-Ferrous Metal Industry
- Texitle Indusry
3. The recommended spots for sightseeing near "KosakaTown":
3-1 Towada Lake:
- Towada Lake is the 12th largest lake in Japan with abundant natural resources, plants, animals, fishes.
- The lake is well known as one of the best scenic lakes in Japan for tourisms
- It is the best to visit the lake from 2 prefectures, Akita and Aomori
3-2 Shichi Falls:
- The water falls are in 60m high, in a rural landscape, which provide a very peaceful atmosphere
- The old water-mill added to great scenic view, just nearby the falls
3-3 Former Kosaka Mine Office Building:
- The office building used to be famous and was built in a style of Renaissance Architecture in 1909
- Currently, the building became a nice museum for tourists
3-5 Korakukan Theatre:
- With a modern symbol of renaissance culture during the time, the theatre was opened in 1910
- It became the oldest wooden-made theatre in Japan
3-6 The Symbolic Flower and Fish of Kosaka Town:
- The flower of the town is "Acacia"
- The fish of the town is namded "Hiramasu"
< Towada Lake - Kosaka Tonw's side View >
< Towada Lake - Another-Angle View from Kosaka Town side >
< Former Kosaka Mine Office Building in Renaissance Architecture >
< Korakukan - The Modern-Style Theatre >
< Nana Falls >
< While Acacica Flower - the Flower of Kosaka Town >
< Himemasu - the Fish of KosakaTown >
< How to get Kosaka Town, Akita >