There is only one village existing today within Miyagi prefecture, which is called "Ohira Village" in the north-west side of Sendai city (about 40min drive from Sendai city).
Historically, the Ohira village had disagreed to be combined and joined with other villages or towns in the past and had decided to stay alone individually as a small village until today.
In spite of such a small village remaining independently to date, I think the village has many nice scenic spots as well as historically-valued shrines. It is highly recommended to foreign travellers who like to find out the "hidden-beauty" of such a small village in Japan.
1. The Basic Information on "Ohira Village" :
- The Total Area: 60.32 km2
- The Population: 5,741 persons (as of 2016)
- The Density of Population: 95.2 persons / km2
- The Railway: There is no train station within Ohira Village. The nearest train station is Izumi-Chuo station at Sendai city in 40 min by car.
- The Main Roads: The three National Roads (#4, #47 and #457) available within the town.
- The Bus: Several local buses are in operation, and the highway bus in connection between Sendai city and Ohira village.
- The Airport: The nearest airport is Sendai Domestic Airport in 50-minute drive from the town (about 54 km).
2. The Main Industry:
- Service Sectors
3. The Recommended Spots for Sightseeing Near "Ohira Village":
3-1 Several Historic Shrines :
- Kifune Shrine
- Ohira Hachiman Shrine
- Ouri Hachiman Shrine
- Suki Shrine
3-2 The Ohira Castle Site :
- The Ohira Castle was originally built by The Ohira family in 1590 and later abandoned and destroyed.
- The site was re-facilitated as a public park in 1968.
- The site is well known for one of the best cherry-blossoms view spots in the village.
3-3 The Showa Manyo Forest Park :
- The forest park was opened to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Emperor Showa in 1985.
- There are several facilities in the park, such as the maintenance office, resting places, restaurants, museums, forest activity areas and so on.
3-4 The Natural Parks :
- The Takkomori Park
- The Lake Natural Park
- The both parks are good for hiking and camping.
3-5 The Ushino Dam :
- The Dam was built by the Ohira village in 1972, mainly for water supply for the village's agricultures and the villagers' consumptions.
- The place becomes a scenic view spot for cherry-blossoms in spring as well as autumn-leaves in autumn.
< The Ohira Hachiman Shrine >
< The Ohira Castle Site in Spring >
< The Showa Manyo Forest >
< The Takkomori Forests in Autumn Season >
< The Sunset at Ushino Dam >
< How to get Ohira Village in Miyagi >