The Zao Town has been greatly blessed by the well-known Zao Mountain Ranges in various areas such as tourisms / leisures regardless of seasons, as well as agricultural / farming areas.
In winter, a lot of skii resort customers visits Zao town for skiing, while many taking trips to the town for cherry-blossoms view in Spring and autumn-leave view in Autumn.
The Zao town has a plenty of natural attractions and values which satisfy visitors every time.
1. The Basic Information on "Zao Town" :
- The Total Area: 152.83 km2
- The Population: 12,209 persons (as of 2016)
- The Density of Population: 79.9 persons / km2
- The Railway: There is no train station within Zao town. The nearest JR station is Shiroishi station at Shiroishi city.
- The Main Roads: The two National Roads (#4 and #457) available within the town.
- The Bus: Several local buses are in operation, and the highway bus in connection between Sendai city and several places at Zao town
- The Airport: The nearest airport is Sendai Domestic Airport in 45-minute drive from the town (about 31km).
2. The Main Industry:
- Agriculture (Zao Town is the highest turnover for "Tsuru-Murasaki" within Japan)
- Fruits Farming (Pear / Peach / Blueberry)
- Tourisms (Mt. Zao)
3. The Recommended Spots for Sightseeing Near "Zao Town":
3-1 Zao Mountain Ranges :
- The well-known "Zao Mountain Ranges" consists of about 15 different mountains, which are sited between Miyagi and Yamagata prefectures.
- The highest mountain among the ranges is "Mt. Kumanodake" (1,841m).
- The overall Zao mountain ranges shows very scenic beauty regardless of seasons.
3-2 Sankai Falls :
- The Sankai Falls has 3-step falls, of which overall gap is about 181m high.
- The Sankai Falls is selected as one of the best 100 falls in Japan.
- Especially, the falls can be seen so beautifully in the back of colourful autumn-leave forest.
3-3 Zao Fruits Farm :
- Zao is renown for various types of fruits such as pears, peaches, blueberries, others.
- There are many fruits farms who is in operation for the fruits picking in different seasons.
3-4 Kattamine Shrine :
- There is a pair of shrines under the same name, "Kattamine Shrine", one at the peak of Kattadake (1,758m) and another near the Kattamine Onsen.
- It is called as "Okumiya" (the inner-resided shrine), while "Satomiya" (the fielded-resided shrine).
3-5 Togatta Onsen :
- It is said that the hot-spring was found more than 400 years ago (in 1601), which people used to say that the Onsen be good effects for inquiry recovering since then.
- The Togatta Onsen became popular for so-called "Kokeshi doll" (Japanese wooden-made doll) all over Japan.
3-6 Zao Skiing Resort :
- Zao town has more visitors for skiing during winter period every year.
- Zao mountain area is best-known for winter resorts and leisures, especially for young generations as well as families.
< The Zao Mountain Ranges >
< The Okama (Goshikinuma in other word) at Zao Mountain Ranges >
< The Sankai Waterfalls in Autumn Season >
< The Fruits Farming at Zao Town >
< The Kattamine Shrine >
< Toggata Onsen >
< The Flower Park at Zao Town >
< The Highland Drive Highway in Autumn >
< How to Get Zao Town, Miyagi >