In general, a small town or village in Japan tends to face a big problem nowadays, which is the yearly reduction in its population. However, there are a few small towns in Japan as exceptional cases, and the "Yamanobe town" is one of them. Total 14,281 town residents were recorded in 1980, and then it is recorded 14,350 in 2016.
The main reason could be that the town is located near to the largest Yamagata city, which is Yamagata prefectural capital. Secondly, there are still a plentiful natural resources available in the town.
1. The Basic Infomation on "Yamanobe Town" :
- The Total Area: 61.45 km2
- The Population: 14,350 people (as of 2016)
- The Density of Population: 234 people / km2
- The Railway: There is one train station, Uzen-Yamanobe station on Aterazawa Line, a part of JR East-Japanno train.
- The Main Roads: 1) The National Road - #458, and 2) The Prefectural Road - #17, 18 & 49.
- The Bus: 1) Yamako Bus Service, and 2) Yamanobe Communicty Bus Service
- The Airport: The nearest airport is Yamagata Dometic Airport in 30-minute drive from the town.
2. The Main Industry:
- Knitting Manufacturing
- The town population being gradually increased for the past 30 years, due to nearer residence place to Yamagata city.
3. The Recommended Spots for Sightseeing Near "Yamanobe Town":
3-1 Owarabi Rice Terraces :
- The rural landscape view is so peaceful and beautiful in simplicity.
- The "Owarabi" was selected as one of the best 100 Rice Terraces in Japan.
3-2 Mt. Shirataka:
- Mt. Shirataka is located in the south-west part of the town near several marshes
- The north side of Yamanobe town is relatively flat, whereas the centre to the sourth side is surrounded by some midium-high moutains.
3-3 Lavendor Flower Gardens :
- The Yamanobe town is decorated by beautiful colours of Lavender flowers at the Lavendor Flower Gardens.
- The local people and visitors look forward to seeing lavender flowers every May and June.
3-4 Small & Large Marshes ;
- There are several small and large-sized marshes existing closely in the south side of the town.
- Those marshes are named as 1) Tamamushi-Numa, 2) Ara-Numa, 3) O-Numa, 4) Kome-Numa, 5) Kyoku-Numa, 6) Koke-Numa etc.
3-5 Outdoor Camping :
- Many visitors try to come to the town and enjoy the camping near the marshes, where the town local office provided them with proper camping facilities.
- Especially in summer season, the camping at the town is so popular.
< The Far-Look for Owarabi Rice Terraces >
< The Closed look for Owarabi Rice Terraces >
< The Mt. Shirataka in Summer Season >
< Lavender Flower Gardens in May and June >
< The Smogged Tamamushi Marshes in Early Morning >
< The Autumn-Leave View at Tamamushi Marshes >
< How to Get Yamanobe Town in Yamagata Prefecture >